It’s February! The weather may not be getting any warmer, but Valentine’s Day is a day for L – O – V – E, and that means that it’s time to warm the heart of someone special. To that end, it’s also time to whip up a deliciously decadent batch of heart-shaped meringues that you can share with your better half. You can also share them with yourself. However you would love to choose!
Light and tasty cookies that will melt in your mouth. Makes about 6 servings.
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- Dash of salt
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- Pink food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 225°. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, vinegar, and salt until the mixture is foamy and doubled in size. Mix in almond and vanilla extracts.
- Add sugar into the mix one tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until the sugar dissolves. Keep beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Transfer the mixture into a pastry bag with an open star tip. Pipe hearts onto the prepared baking sheets, keeping each heart about one inch apart.
- Bake 1 hour. Turn off the oven (do not open the door) and let the meringues rest in the oven for another hour. Remove and cool completely before serving.
Rebecca Anderson is a culinary enthusiast for Oswego East High School’s online news magazine the Howl