April Fool’s Day is right around the corner, and what better way to show family & friends your funny bone than to fool them with a tasty snack of French fries with ketchup?
But — wait! The trick here is that this “salty snack” is actually pound cake with a raspberry dipping sauce in disguise! Gotcha!
April Fool’s Ketchup & Fries
A delicious-looking side … with a sugary twist. Makes 8 servings.
- 1 Pound cake
- Cinnamon sugar
- 2 C Raspberries
- 2 T Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a baking sheet.
- Cut the crust off the pound cake. Then, cut the pound cake into “fry shapes” by slicing it into ¼ inch pieces and then cutting these slices into ¼ inch sections vertically. Finally, cut these ¼ inch by ¼ inch strips to a length of 4 to 5 inches.
- Place the fries on the greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip the fries and then bake them for another 4 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, allow the fries to cool, then sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar.
- For the ketchup, put raspberries and powdered sugar into a blender and blend until smooth. Then, strain this mixture to remove the raspberry seeds.
- Fool your family and friends with your delicious and deceptive creation.
Rebecca Anderson is a culinary enthusiast for Oswego East High School’s online news magazine the Howl