After a long, cold winter, spring is finally in the air. And what better way to appreciate Mother Nature in all of Her delicious beauty than with a flavorful, fresh order of vegetarian spring rolls?
Your staunchest critics will reaching for seconds & thirds once you roll out these delicious treat!
Vegetarian Spring Rolls
Crunchy, light spring snack. Makes 8 rolls.
- 2 Ounces rice noodles
- 1 t sesame oil
- ¼ t salt
- 1 C shredded lettuce
- 1 C sliced cabbage and carrots
- 1 Sliced cucumber
- ¼ C Sliced green onions
- ¼ C Chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 Sheets rice paper
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Then, drain and rinse them under cool water. Off the heat Toss the noodles with the sesame oil and salt. Set aside.
- Fill a pie pan with about an inch of water. Place a tea towel next to the dish.
- Place one sheet of rice paper in the water for about 20 seconds. Then, lay it flat on the towel.
- Leaving about 1 inch of paper around the edges, Place lettuce on the lower third, then rice noodles, some cabbage and carrots, and finally the cucumber. Sprinkle generously with the herb mix.
- Fold the lower edge up over the fillings, rolling upward until the filling is enclosed. Fold over the short sides and then roll it up the rest of the way. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Rebecca Anderson is a culinary enthusiast for Oswego East High School’s online news magazine the Howl